Stop Automated Field Updates from Suppressing Email Notifications (Critical Update)
- You change a case’s owner and choose to notify the new owner by email.
- You create a user and choose to welcome the user by email.
- You create a task and choose to notify the task owner by email.
- You create an assignment rule and choose to notify users when they’ve been assigned a case.
Prior to Summer ’17, those emails didn’t always go through. If the change triggered a process, workflow rule, or Apex trigger that updated the same record, Salesforce suppressed the email. When you activate this critical update, Salesforce no longer suppresses the notification emails.
Until now, the workaround has been to add your own email notifications, such as with an Email Alert in a process or workflow rule. If you used this workaround to make up for the missing emails, your users receive duplicate emails. Remove your workarounds so that your users receive only one notification.
Test This Critical Update
We recommend testing the critical update in a sandbox. If you must work in your production org, do so during off-peak hours.
- Identify customizations that are sending the email notifications.
- Remove the supplemental email notifications from the customization components.
- Activate the Stop Automated Field Updates from Suppressing Email Notifications critical update.
- Test your customizations to make sure that Salesforce doesn’t send duplicate emails.