|Available in: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, Developer, and Database.com Editions|
Platform developers commonly use custom settings or custom objects to define configurations and create reusable app components and features. But because these entities’ records are data and not metadata, you can’t package, deploy, upgrade, and customize these types in a manageable way. With custom metadata types, you can build apps defined and driven by your own types of metadata.
- Speed your development by 25% by writing fewer deployment tools.
- Use just a few custom metadata types to accomplish what previously took tens of thousands of lines of code.
- Upgrade installed apps up to 50% faster.
- Create custom metadata types and records.
- Create a user interface to accommodate the process of creating, editing, and deleting custom metadata records.
- Package custom metadata types and records in unmanaged packages, managed packages, or managed package extensions.
- Deploy packages that contain custom metadata types and records to Professional, Developer, Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Database.com Edition organizations.
- Use change sets to deploy custom metadata types and records from a sandbox.
- Use all field types that are available in custom settings, except for currency fields, in custom metadata types.
- Use SOQL queries to retrieve data from custom metadata types and their records. Unlike other Apex transactions, you can make unlimited SOQL queries for custom metadata types and records.