- You no longer need to re-create users in the system or migrate their data.
- Users can keep their existing usernames and passwords. A license upgrade also preserves historical record and Chatter data. Ensure that users have access to the same objects via their new license and profile.
Who Is Eligible for a License Upgrade?
In general, we support upgrades from most customer licenses to the Customer Community Plus or Partner Community license. More specifically, for users whose UserType equals CSPLitePortal, we support license upgrades to PowerPartner or PowerCustomerSuccess (in the Salesforce API).
- Customer Community
- High Volume Customer Portal
- Overage High Volume Customer Portal
- Authenticated Website User Overage
- Authenticated Website User
- External Identity
How Do I Upgrade Users?
To change a user’s license in Salesforce, go to their user detail page and click Edit. Specify a new license, profile, and role.
And if you want to upgrade users via the Salesforce API, for a single user or multiple users, we’ve got you covered! Use the update() method on the User object and specify the required ProfileId and RoleId values. That’s it.
- The Customer Community Plus and Partner Community licenses require the user to have a
role, which imposes certain restrictions.
- An upgrade to a license that requires a role is irreversible.
- If you don’t specify a role during the license upgrade, we assign the lowest role in the account hierarchy to the user. If no roles exist on the account, we create one for you and assign it to the user.
- Automatic role assignments always use the lowest role associated with the user’s account: Partner <Account Name> User or Customer <Account Name> User. So if you want to move them up in the role hierarchy, you can easily do so later.
- Before upgrading a user to a Partner Community license, enable the user’s account as a partner account.
- A license upgrade removes sharing sets, permission sets, and permission set license assignments previously associated with the user.
- License upgrades are subject to org limits that apply to user creation, such as license and role limits and username uniqueness requirements.
- Changes in profiles and permission sets can affect community membership. Ensure that upgraded users have access to the intended communities.
- We recalculate sharing rules that apply to upgraded users, for example through their public groups, criteria-based sharing, and record ownership (implicit sharing).
- Users upgraded to the Customer Community Plus license are automatically associated with the All Customer Portal Users public group. Similarly, users upgraded to the Partner Community license are associated with the All Partner Users public group.