Essential configuration data often runs longer than the 255-character text field limit. Until this release, storing longer strings, such as API keys, specialized markup, or SOQL queries, required workarounds using text fields. Now, you can create, package, and deploy long text areas as a custom field type.
Keep in mind these limits and limitations.
- Default character limit—32,768 (32 KB)
- Maximum character limit—131,072 (128 KB)
- Minimum character limit—256
- Long text area fields aren’t supported in SOQL filters.
- Long text area fields count toward the custom metadata 10 MB limit. 255 characters per long text area field count for a given type.
- Queries containing long text area fields count toward Apex governor limits.