- Picklist and multi-select picklist fields are available only on external objects that are associated with an external data source of type Salesforce Connect: Cross-Org.
- You can’t edit picklist values on external objects, and changes to fields on the
provider org aren’t automatically reflected in the subscriber org. To reflect
changes on the subscriber org, resync the external object, or manually delete
and recreate the picklist field on the external object.If you don’t resync or recreate the picklist field on the external object:
- When an active picklist value is added to the provider org, the subscriber org doesn’t display it as an available picklist value on external object records.
- When an active picklist value is deleted from or made inactive on a restricted picklist on the provider org, the subscriber org can’t create or edit external object records with that value.
- Global picklist value sets aren’t synced. If a provider org’s picklist field uses a global picklist value set, syncing creates a local picklist field on the subscriber org. A local picklist field has its own set of values.
Inactive picklist values aren’t synced. If the subscriber org accesses an external object record that contains an inactive picklist value, the inactive value is added to the picklist field on the external object.
- Syncing converts restricted picklists on the provider org into unrestricted picklists on the subscriber org’s external objects.
- We recommend having only unrestricted picklists on external objects, even when they’re associated with restricted picklists on the provider org. Restricted picklists on the provider org block unapproved values from the subscriber org, eliminating the need to restrict picklists on external objects.